In anticipation of the school holidays I caught up with friends Stella and Montana who taught me a thing or two about baking. Pizza Muffins were on the menu and according to these two mini chefs, pineapple most definitely does belong on pizza! (with the leftover pineapple being eaten while the muffins cooked.) I can’t argue with the experts!
We enjoyed the muffins straight from the oven with a bit of butter and a little bit more tomato paste on top. After pretending to put the butter on her muffin we caught Stella eating the butter straight from the block. Each to their own I guess!
- 3 CUPS (450G) SELF-RAISING FLOUR, SIFTED
- 1 TEASPOON BAKING POWDER
- 1½ CUPS (180G) GRATED CHEDDAR
- 150G HAM, CHOPPED
- ⅔ CUP (150G) CHOPPED PINEAPPLE, DRAINED
- ⅔ CUP (160ML) VEGETABLE OIL
- 2 TABLESPOONS TOMATO PASTE
- 2 EGGS
- 1 CUP (250ML) MILK
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the flour, baking powder, 1 cup (120g) cheese, ham and pineapple in a bowl and mix to combine.
- Place the oil, tomato paste, egg and milk in a bowl and whisk to combine. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Spoon into 12 x ½ cup-capacity (125ml) muffin tins and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Makes 12.
Enjoy the holidays and extra time with your littlies.