Its coming to that time of year again when all the spray tan appointments in town are fully booked and extra bandaids are hidden in purses for emergencies. Its Spring Racing time! We’re just starting to get a taste of sunshine and warm days and as I rush around town trying to find a fascinator to wear to Caulfield Cup this weekend, I can’t help but get a bit excited for all the summery cocktails I know are ahead of me.
This Nectarine and Thyme cocktail is a new favourite of mine and it can be enjoyed with either your favourite bottle of bubbly or soda water for all you designated drivers. We’ll be celebrating race day on Saturday with a champagne breakfast before we head off and this one will definitely be making an appearance. It’s quite refreshing and I love the little kick that the thyme gives it. Perfect for a lovely Spring day in the sun.
This cocktail has been adapted from a recipe by Leigh Ann from “My Diary of Us” (www.mydiaryofus.com/blog/2015/5/14/plum-and-thyme-prosecco-smash)
I’ve mixed it up a little and used one of my favourite stone fruits – the nectarine.
Nectarine and Thyme Fizz
- 1-2 Nectarines
- 6 Thyme Sprigs
- Juice from one Lemon
- 4 Tbsp. Thyme Simple Syrup (1/2 Cup of Sugar, 1/2 Cup of Water, bring to a boil, remove from heat, add thyme sprigs, stir, and let cool. Chill until ready to use.)
- 1 Bottle of your favourite bubbly or soda water
- Chop nectarines into slices
- Mix nectarines with the Thyme Simple Syrup and lemon juice
- Shake with ice in a cocktail shaker.
- Pour over crushed ice evenly between two glasses.
- Top off with champagne and garnish with extra nectarine slices and thyme sprigs.
- Serve immediately.
I actually keep a bottle of the Thyme Simple Syrup in the fridge ready to go. Its a nice little addition to soda water for a refreshing drink on a hot night (when you know you’re not going to finish a whole bottle of champagne on your own) 😉
A big thank-you to Rose from @stylelistau for making the cocktail look so good!
I hope you enjoy this and many other cocktails during this years Spring Racing Carnival.